Our newest review is of Vocabulary Cartoons SAT Word Power ( Book 1) from New Monic Books. I received this book in the mail to review and what surprised me immediately…it has become my 7 year olds favorite book! He constantly takes it in the car with us, he asks for us to read the words to him and then pieces together what it means with the cartoon. Seeing how this works for a 7 year old I have to say that I was quickly curious to see what our older children would think about it!

My twelve year old is also the sidekick reader and they are found often reading it together and thoroughly enjoying it. I am seeing that my older son is also retaining the information and sharing what the words say and what the humorous cartoon mentioned. It even peaked my 16 year old sons interest and he browsed it with amusement before the 7 year old claimed it back from him! ; ) (Side Note: I will be offering this up to him again as he gets closer to SAT’s because I think the information is very valuable!) I have to say that I was very impressed with the layout and the mindset behind these books!

Okay, okay so I have bragged and told how popular it is but what exactly is it?

Vocabulary Cartoons is a book series to help students learn hundreds of SAT words with easy memory techniques. The techniques include , Subject Word, Phonetic Pronunciation, Definition, Association Link Word (a rhyming word or phrase that “sounds like” the subject word and links them together), Mnemonic Cartoon, Cartoon Caption and Sample Sentences. These were created with the kids of helping students link a few things like pictures, rhyme, funny sentence to remember the words. Students learn hundreds of SAT level words faster and easier with powerful rhyming and visual mnemonics. In independent school tests, students with Vocabulary Cartoons learned 72% more words than students with traditional rote memory study materials and had 90% retention. Contains 290 SAT words with 29 review quizzes consisting of matching and fill-in-the-blank problems.

Vocabulary Cartoons are available for Elementary students 3rd – 6th grade levels, Middle/High School 7th – 12th grade levels, and the SAT Word Power Original and II version. They are available in books and on CD-pdf format. These books are a great value at $12.95 available through www.vocabularycartoons.com

From the interest my sons have shown in these, I would give them a definite Thumbs Up and I am considering purchasing the other levels for my kids to ENJOY! How many times do you get to say that about vocabulary?

I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for my thorough use and honest review of them. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences on the products and services that I receive.

0 comments: